Friday, May 6, 2011

Give me Liberty

“Give me your tired, your poor, your wretched masses yearning to be free. I lift my lamp beside the golden shore.” The Statue of Liberty

When did America go from being the land of opportunity for all the world
to a frightened place of gun men storing up food and supplies in case of an emergency
and pulling out their guns whenever some needy people come for help?

When Mother Teresa was in California she said the poverty of Mexico was worse than the poverty of Calcutta because it was so close to America where most people had so much more than they need.

When I was in Mexico with Mission Circle and Habilitat I found a woman and her three children and her sister’s baby sleeping on the wooden planks around a hog pen because that was the warmest spot they could find.

I spoke with one woman whose two children had fevers and were crying all night for a drink of water. When she saw they were not going to be able to sleep, she climbed a hill and walked a mile to her sister’s house and her sister had only one glass of water which the lady carried home to her two sick children.

Why do we who have so much worry about what immigrants might take from us.
God did not create borders. People did. And Jesus said, “Whatever you do to the least of my people you do to me.” Why is it so many Christians fail to see Jesus in an immigrant?

No comments:

Post a Comment